Thursday, March 30, 2006
_Pastry Competition

Just when I'm wishing there were a pastry competition that I could enter, there it is.

I walked into the local bake supply shop the other day to pick up some items, and right there at the front of the store is a stack of competition rules and entry forms for a cake design competition hosted at the local culinary school this weekend. I thought about it for a while, got some questions answered, then $25 later I'm entered.

At long last, I'll finally get to see where I stand in the cake decorating world, pitting my skills and experience against scores of other entrants. I don't know how many will be in my skill level division, but I'm sure there will be some pretty stiff competition (unlike a certain other competition I'd entered). I'll post pictures of my design later. But for now you'll have to settle with knowing that it's a springtime theme.

Reading through the competition rules and hints, I'm so much more mindful of the level of perfection my cake will have to achieve in order to win. Fondant has to be absolutely smooth, colors have to go together, the overall design should be sufficiently complex but not busy, etc. They say "less is more", but at the same time I have to do "enough". Hopefully I'll have enough time to complete the design to the level of perfection required. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up staying up all night Friday finishing it.

I started putting together the tiers for my design. I'm using Styrofoam dummies instead of actual cake. It's quite different but much easier. I also realized that my fondant skills are quite out of practice. But three tries later, I finally got it back. Tomorrow will be stacking the tiers, installing borders, and starting the sugar work. I'm looking forward to working with gum paste again. It's so much fun.

After I get the results from this competition, I'll be sending off my application to the Culinary Institute of America. For some reason, leaving the "Awards" section empty seemed wrong. Hopefully I'll have something to brag about in that box....

(If you want to come see the cake show, e-mail me and I'll let you know the details.)


Comments:

 
Culinary Institute of America eh? Stephanie's husband went there. Enjoy the winters. Maybe we can visit you next year if you go there. We are planning on being in Maryland.


Post a Comment

<< Home