Monday, December 20, 2004
_Lame Duck

I sprained my ankle today. I'm effectively disabled. I'm getting tired of hopping around on one foot. I might end up going to the hospital tomorrow to get it looked at, or at least to pick up some crutches. I've never had a sprain that hurt this much. This totally sucks.

UPDATE (21 Dec 2004, 9:51am): After sleeping on it and taking some ibuprofen, I think I don't need a trip to the hospital. I'm able to put some weight on it this morning, though not a lot, but it's definitely an improvement from last night when I went to bed. I'm going to see if I can round up a cane or crutch with some help from a friend, and stock up on food for the next few days. I'm still going to try to see my family this weekend, but I'm not sure yet how that's going to work. Hopefully by Friday I'll be able to drive again (I really don't want to make my parents come pick me up). And thankfully it's my right ankle that's sprained, not my left. This is good because I drive a stick-shift.

UPDATE (21 Dec 2004, 12:43pm): One of my bestest friends, John, was gracious enough to take me to the store to get food and a cane. Having the cane is a huge improvement, being mobile again without having to worry about killing myself. I'm also thinking that having hobbled around a supermarket, a pharmacy and a Wal-Mart has greatly improved the condition of my ankle, so I may be able to drive to my parents' place on Friday. Canes are nice.

UPDATE (27 Dec 2004, 9:57am): It's been about a week now, and my ankle is mostly healed. There's still a hint of a bruise, but I can mostly turn my ankle any which way. This bodes well for me since it's unlikely now that I've seriously broken anything. On the other hand, the ankle is much weaker now, so I'll have to be more prudent with my kiteflying antics. (Yes, that's right, I sprained my ankle flying a kite!)